Minnehaha County, South Dakota
The requirements for obtaining a marriage license are as follows:
1. Both parties must be 18 years of age or older.
2. Both parties need to come into the office together to sign their marriage license application in our presence, at which time both of their signatures will be captured electronically. Both parties will also need to fill out the Marriage Application Worksheet- Spouse A form and the Marriage Application Worksheet- Spouse B form. The forms may be printed out and completed prior to your visit to the Register of Deeds office.
3. Identification is required in order to apply for a marriage license. A valid driver's license, or other acceptable form of photo identification which also states a birth date, will be required. If a marriage license applicant is from a foreign country and does not have a valid driver's license, they will be required to provide their passport as an acceptable form of identification.
4. The applicants' Social Security numbers are also required, however, the Social Security card does not need to be provided.
5. The marriage license must be used within 20 days of purchase, or it will expire.
6. If a marriage license is purchased in the State of South Dakota, it must be used within the State of South Dakota and cannot be used in any other state. However, the marriage license may be purchased in any county in the state and the marriage solemnized in any county within the state.
7. The cost of the marriage license is $40.00 cash only. We do not accept checks or credit cards or debit cards.
If you are between the ages of 16 or 17:
You must have a parent or guardian's written notarized consent. This form is available at our office or available for download at our FORMS web page. The parent or guardian can either come with the couple and sign the form when the couple apply for the marriage license, or the couple will need to bring a written notarized consent with them at the time of application. All of the above requirements also apply in this case.